Sunday, February 24, 2013

Date Night

We're back online! Vivi and I are pretty much 100% and J is having some daughter time while I am down at Jo's to catch up on blog posting...yea!

After my parents left, Jonathan's mom and dad arrived. We had a great visit and V enjoyed time with her Yia Yia and Papou.


One of the nights, J and I took advantage of having babysitters in town and had a date night...best date night ever!

We started with dinner at a new restaurant, The Bonneville, a couple blocks away from the condo. The design is very minimal and clean, but the decor that is there is very dynamic. After telling Jonathan that all I could think about was the Pontiac Bonneville (born and raised in MI anyone?), we asked our waiter where the name came from. He told us that the owners are huge fans of the Steve McQueen era of racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats and, long story short, that is where they drew their inspiration for the restaurant from.


We both enjoyed exciting cocktails while starting with the Creamy Bacon & Egg Raviolo bathed in Brown Butter & Parmigiano Reggiano and the special of Olive Salad...talk about a great start to dinner! Very flavorful! Our main dishes (Chicken “Under a Brick", with White Bean & Seasonal Vegetable Ragout and Bordeuax Braised Niman Ranch Beef Shortribs with Creamy Polenta & Roasted Local Farm Carrots) finished strong. We passed on desert so that we could make our movie at the Violet Crown.


Another block away is the great little locally owned theater playing independent, documentary and international films. They feature reserved seating (you can buy your tickets online),  bar, cafe, and snack bar. Enjoying our sans baby evening, J and I grabbed a couple of beverages and popcorn before we went in to the movie.


I had a quick little convo with the couple sitting behind us before we settled in to our plush recline chairs for Amour. After the movie, when we were on our way out of the building, Jonathan asked if I noticed who was sitting behind us..."You mean the people I talked to?" I asked. "Yes, did you notice who he was?" Well, I didn't and you know who I spoke with and didn't even recognize? Dan Rather! I really impress myself sometimes. Let's just hope I actually realize when Matthew McConaughey or Sandra Bullock are right in front of me!

After the movie we decided to check out the patio at Trace for a little desert. Another great choice! We indulged in the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie and the Drunken Donuts....next time we won't even mess with any other desert but the Drunken Donuts, they were heavenly!


The next day we had a little run and watched the participants of the Livestrong Austin Marathon walking around 2nd Street proudly wearing their medals. Kudos to everyone who participated in the marathon and half marathon! I was even lucky enough to meet up with a Michigan friend who was in town for the half marathon.

The rest of the week was spent with J in Michigan and V and I trying to steer clear of others. 

I am excited to write about a great new restaurant we found this weekend...my new happy place! Stay tuned to read about Elizabeth Street Cafe!

(All I can say is that I am glad this is such an active city with all of this amazing food around!)

No comments:

Post a Comment