We've been so busy lately and have completely failed when it comes to exploring Austin. Bad, bad us.
But last weekend, I feel, we redeemed ourselves. After waking up J went and grabbed some delicious breakfast tacos while I packed for our trip to the Deep Eddy Pool. As a side note, I seriously don't know how we are going to live without the breakfast tacos once we are back in Michigan. They are to Austin (and possibly all of Texas) what bagels are to NYC. You can try to get them somewhere else...but they just aren't as good.
So, Deep Eddy is a spring fed pool that was built in 1915, the oldest swimming pool in Texas. The water is comparable to that of the Great Lakes...it's cold! But you put that water temperature in Texas and it isn't so cold! After playing in their little "park" until it opened, we were all Sweaty Betties and ready to cool off. We were thinking V might have been a little timid with the chilly water, but boy were we wrong! She just walked right in and wanted to keep going!
We were there for about an hour before she had splashed herself to tiredness. We took off for home where she enjoyed a nice long nap...and so did mom and dad.
Monday, June 10, 2013
We had a great weekend back in Austin. Friday night J and I had a date night at the Whole Foods Culinary Center, taking a cooking class as a belated anniversary gift. I love cooking and thoroughly enjoyed the class and it is safe to say that J had a great time too! We ate, drank, cooked, talked and in the end enjoyed a wonderful meal we made all while enjoying the company of the other couples in our class.
Did you know if you want to cook chicken (or any other type of food) in the pan where it will reach high heat, you should not use olive oil because it will burn? Use a grape seed oil or safflower oil instead!
On Sunday we decided to walk across the "river" (let's be honest Austin, Lady Bird Lake is, in fact, a river) to Butler Park to let V have her first experience playing in the fountains shooting up from the ground. Needless to say, she loved it! At first she was a little bashful, but once she realized that it was water squirting up in to the air, all bets were off...she was ready to play!
Friday, May 24, 2013
- Pulling herself up and walking while using furniture for support
- Pushes her cart, everywhere!
- Says, "duck", "quack, quack, quack" and "hi" - "dog" is kind of in there too!
- Points, waves, blows kisses, gives kisses, and dances.
- Loves to push the button to catch the elevator.
- Loves to "shake, shake, shake"!
- She still loves making music.
- Nods her head "yes"
- Took her first steps on May 17!
- Fearless, will climb over everything, including her piano.
- Her sleep schedule...what sleep schedule? My consistent sleeper is gone!
- Eight teeth, with one or two more making their way through in the back.
- Loves to eat fruit and veggies, and she still loves her smoothies.
- Social, social, social! She will wave and say, "Hi!" to everyone while we are grocery shopping or taking a stroll on the sidewalk.
- Becoming more and more confident to stand on her own.
- And she makes great facial expressions...